Welcome to the City of New Town!

Here are a few things that are very important to know as a City of New Town customer

How is my water made?

The water served to the residents of New Town is treated at the City’s water treatment plant located on the West side of town. We pull water from the ground and soften it with lime to remove as much hardness from the water as possible. We then add a small amount of chlorine to disinfect the water, as well as add a small amount of fluoride to promote healthy teeth. If you ever have any questions about how your water is made, or if you have any issues with the water quality please contact the City of New Town Water Department @ 701-627-4821. The City publishes a yearly water quality report that is available to the public at all times, this is called the Consumer Confidence Report, or CCR.


How does the City supply water to my tap?

Once water has been treated, the water is pumped into our distribution system(an interconnected system of pipes including the water tower) through water mains. There is a water main running down every street. Each home is connected to a water main via a service line that runs under a person’s yard, and eventually up into the home. There is a shutoff valve installed on each service line called the “curbstop”. Once the water get to the home, it runs through a water meter owned by the city, which determines how many gallons of water are being used. This is how we generate revenue to keep the entire system operating.


What is your responsibility?

As a customer, you are responsible for a few things. First you are responsible for the water meter in your home. If the water meter is kept warm enough to not freeze, you should have no issues with your water meter. We ask that nobody attempt to move or repair a water meter as this may lead to a fine, but instead call the City Water Department for correct any issues you are having with your meter. You are responsible for paying for a new water meter, if it is determined that you are at fault and may cost as much as 900 dollars. You are also responsible for the curbstop located in your yard. The easiest way to do this is to just leave it alone. Damaging the curbstop or filling the riser with material will result in a fine which will be adjusted to the repair costs. Paying your bill in a timely manner is also your responsibility. The City generates bills at the end of each month for water used during the month. This bill is generally due the 15th of the following month. If bills are not paid, it may result in the water service being terminated until the delinquent bills have been paid in full.


Helpful Tips

New Town is in North Dakota which means we have very cold winters. Never turn the heat off in your home as this may lead to your water pipes and meter freezing and breaking. If your water meter is not located in your home be sure to keep it insulated and heat taped.

Our water meters have the technology to detect leaking appliances in your home. If we notify you that you have a leak try to fix this issue as soon as possible as leaks will cause extremely high water bills even if you think it is a very small leak.

Who do I call in an Emergency?

If you are having any issues with your water or sewer service please call the New Town Water Dept. @ 701-627-4821. We will respond as fast as possible. If you believe there was a billing mistake, please  call the Auditor’s Office at 701-627-4812.